Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Jury Duty: Day 1 and Only

I reported for jury duty at the room in the county court building at 25 Delaware Avenue at around 8:45 a.m. yesterday, Tuesday, January 6, and had an average day for jury duty, getting excused following jury selection at about 3 p.m.
There were few real highlights during the waiting period; the jury selection video was narrated/hosted by several anchors from CBS' "60 Minutes," after which announcements for the first people to start their voir dire (jury selection process) were made and CNN was broadcast on the screens. I started reading "Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal and the Selling of the Iraq War" by Michael Isikoff and David Corn, a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law (in-law) Brad Dossinger and sister-in-law Tricia Dunne-Dossinger; I read about 60 pages of the book.
The few people highlights during this wait included a woman about age 35-40 wearing cream/white cowboy boots, a pink ski vest, pink pants and a heavy, bright pink sweater with an enormous collar that dwarfed most cowl-neck sweaters. Another woman about age 35 was dressed in basic business casual with dressy jeans that would have seemed comfortable if they didn't appear vacuum-sealed to her and the 4-5-inch stiletto heels she was wearing. I laughed to myself at the sight of an unshaven man, about age 40, who seemed to be wearing his best mechanic's grime sweatshirt, sweat pants and ski hat.
Eventually, at about 10:45-11 a.m., my name was called among about 20 others to report for voir dire in jury selection room 1; we lined up in the order our names were called, as told, and went into the room to face questioning from the two attorneys, who were representing the plaintiff and defendant on a civil medical malpractice case.
After about 90 minutes of questioning, after which three people were dismissed from our jury, we broke for lunch, and I went to my office, which is in the building adjacent to the court building, and after reporting back, went through about 75 more minutes of questioning, after which about 6-8 other people were dismissed, before the attorneys came back from a mini-conference and told me and another juror thank you for your service and that we were dismissed.
I went back to work for a bit (I also went to work before reporting for jury duty) and came home, and I am apparently out of the selection pool for 8 more years.


Post a Comment

<< Home