Sunday, April 13, 2008

Another Mark Freeland Tribute

The death and loss of musician extraordinaire and artist Mark Freeland last summer are still being felt. We here at Buffalo Roots were fortunate last month to receive a comment from Scott Simon of Our Daughter's Wedding, an influential and popular New York City new wave band from the 1980s that Freeland was a member of for a while.
Because Simon's comments were to a post from last June, I wanted to give them a separate post so people get the chance to read his comments and to thank Simon for commenting on our blog.

From: scott odw
Date: March 23, 2008 9:41:49 AM EDT
To: barkloud@mac.com
Subject: [buffaloroots] New comment on Mark Freeland, RIP.

I had the good fortune to work with Mark in NYC between 1983-84. He played with my band "Our Daughters Wedding" and shared vocal duties with the late "Chief" Keith Silva. We did some touring and recording during those days but one piece of music still stands out. It was a session that featured some of the best performers in town Mars Williams, (Liquid Soul,Waitresses) Ken Lockie, (Cowboys International,Dominatrix) David Spradley, (P-Funk,Atomic Dog) Jay Burnette (Planet Rock, Afrika Bambatta) but it was Mark's groundbreaking rap that made the electro R&B tune"Love Machine" a classic.

a sample:

"Well give me a jump to let me know I'm alive, My stick shift will put you in overdrive, I've got a digital brain that spells out my name my driveshaft tastes like a candy cane. I've got a video screen instead of a spleen I'm a well oiled overhauled love machine. I've got lady mechanics to grease me up, got gasoline drippin from my lovin up, inside of me I got technology the bionic man is afraid of me cause I'm a Love Machine

"Check me over under my hood cause only you can do me up so good, take a look down at my spark plug and if it's weak just give it a tug,I've got a piston like Sonny Liston and it goes just up and down, The majesty of my love machine has spread from town to town, I got a girl mechanic and she goes into a panic when she rides the love machine that she calls the Titanic, I got batteries on my inside, my ass is made of Naugahyde,I'm the one the love machine with the guts and gears that goes so mean cause I'm a love machine."

It speaks for itself. I also remember a very interesting exchange between Mark and Heavyweight Contender Gerry Cooney outside of Gleason's gym on 33 st. I 'll save that for another day.

Mark was a wild free soul and I hope his mold is not broken because we need more Mark Freelands

scott
our daughters wedding

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home