Saturday, July 07, 2007

Don't Play It Again, Sam

While Val nd I were eating dinner at Zetti's (see entry below), we noticed that the radio station playing was the dreaded 102.5 FM, whatever zany name the station now has.
Like many radio stations nowadays, they have an "Eighties at 8" feature in which they play music from the 1980s for a half-hour or hour. Val and I were subjected to the leadoff song, "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money with Ronnie Spector, followed by "Brass in Pocket" by the Pretenders, then a song that makes me question the existence of a benevolent supreme being, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, followed by another piece of aural cow dung, "Mad About You" by Belinda Carlisle.
I actually like "Brass in Pocket" by the Pretenders, but the song was released in the late 1970s. Otherwise, this was one of the worst 1980s musical sets I have ever heard.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ugh went to edit and deleted said post...

"Eye of the Tiger" is an evil song.

I hear it and begin to get 5th and 6th grade flashbacks.

From Wikipedia: The song topped the Billboard Hot 100 for six weeks from July 24, 1982. It was preceded by "Don't You Want Me" by the Human League and followed by "Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band. "Eye of the Tiger" also reached number one in the UK, Irish and Australian charts. The song won a Grammy Award, an Academy Award nomination, and was voted "Best New Song" by the People's Choice Awards.

I find the combination of Eye of the Tiger and Abracadabra to be one that can cause scary flashbacks... I hear them and suddenly want to attempt to feather my super straight hair, find a pair of super tight Jordache Jeans (which I was never allowed to wear... but I digress), and acrylic fair isle sweaters with puff sleeves.

Although remember the days when everything on "Rock 102" was done via some sort of computer system? There was never a dj there "spinning" the records like on stations like 97 Rock.

Back in the 80s I generally despised 102.5 because it tended to bleed into my CFNY reception...

11:08 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uELMzJQSKmU

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Yeah, thanks for the video link, Beth. I was joking to Val that "Eye of the Tiger" is one of those "marching atcha" videos, where the band tries to come off as cool, mean, wild or street smart by coming toward the camera en masse.

Bands like Motley Crue, Kiss (unmasked and without makeup) and Twisted Sister also did early versions of this style of video, with mostly awful results.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home