Sunday, July 08, 2007

12 Girls Band, One Gag Reflex

I've been subjected to the television commercial for the new CD by the 12 Girls Band, "Shanghai," way too frequently in the past week or so.
This 12-piece (naturally) band from China (apparently the People's Republic) plays a treacly new agey adult schmaltz contemporary style of music, both traditional Chinese songs and such stellar popular songs as "My Heart Will Go On" from "The Titanic" soundtrack. This is the type of music that people who like Enya but think she rocks too hard would enjoy; perfect for opening that next Celine Dion tour.
Because the video for the commercial shows the band members all but sitting or standing perfectly still while they play, the fact that a live DVD "Live in Shanghai" is also offered in the commercial is particularly amusing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

They were *all over* the Live Earth concert. I swore every time I flipped over to it they were playing.

I will say the instruments are interesting.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

I watched parts of the Live Earth concert on both MSNBC (or was it CNBC?) and on CFTO out of Toronto; among the bands I caught were the Police and Smashing Pumpkins. Luck was with me, because I missed the 12 Girls Band and their musical bowel movements.

If only their music was a fraction as interesting as their instruments.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

There is one thing scarier though- I was going through my mother's CD stash after she died and found....




John Tesh

11:04 AM  
Blogger Kelly Sedinger said...

I bought a 12 Girls Band CD a year or so ago, based on my love of Asian music in general and Cantopop in particular. Ick.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home