Thursday, April 19, 2007

Radio, It's the Sound Salvation

I had a great time doing my two-hour shift on WBNY 91.3 FM Alumni Weekend from 6-8 p.m. Saturday, April 14. I appreciate my lovely wife Val coming in with me and helping with some information, music and the phones, and I appreciate the calls I received from people listening over the airwaves and online.
I changed things a bit this year and played nothing that I played back in my days at WBNY, from 1984-1985, and concentrated on newer local and national music. Here, in order, is the music I played between nasal warblings:
6-7 p.m. - Elvis Costello and Alan Touissant, Tears, Tears and More Tears; Honky Tonk Confidential, Hangover Boogie; Tom Waits, Lie to Me; Willie Nile, Cell Phones Ringing (In the Pockets of the Dead); Jim Whitford, Poison in the Well; Loomer, Bang the Nails; Stoll Vaughan, Alright; Graham Parker, I Discovered America; The Silos, Top of the World; Mike Oliver, Little Miss Oblivious; The Ramrods, I Got a Full Tank of Gas/I'm in Love with My Car (live); Mark Norris and the Backpeddlers, Walk Out; Steve Wynn and the Miracle 3, Wired.
7-8 p.m. - The Flaming Lips, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song; Rosanne Cash, Black Cadillac; This Is Now, Planet Why; Terry Sullivan, Blow Out on the Thruway; The Old Sweethearts, Arms of the Town; Kathleen Edwards, Hockey Skates; The Bottle Rockets, Better than Broken; Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris, Red Dirt Girl (live); The Transonics, Get On!; The Bird Circuit, Maryann and the Bridge; Rob Lynch, Smoking Accident; Los Lobos, Done Gone Blue.
I ran out of time while "Last Seen in Gainesville" by Audrey Auld Mezera was sitting in the CD player, ready to be fired. That was basically my only complaint about WBNY Alunmni Weekend, that with the response from us alumni that shifts had to be limited to 2 hours (mine were 4 hours when I jocked at WBNY). Of course, I could have had more time if I wanted to take the time of my first official, regular air shift 23 years ago, 2-6 a.m. Sunday morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home