Thursday, April 12, 2007

You're Gonna Hear Me on Your Radio

Yep, with a thank you nod to Joe Jackson for the intro lyrics, I will once again be part of the WBNY 91.3 FM Alumni Weekend at Buffalo State College, and will host a two-hour show from 6-8 p.m. Saturday, April 14.
I was incredibly fortunate to be on the air as a DJ, news anchor, reporter and talk show host, as well as a news and All Talk Monday producer, from 1984-1985 at WBNY (a time some people call the station's "glory years") while a student at Buffalo State College. My time there certainly helped lead me down the path of no return to writing about music professionally for more than 20 years, at least as much as writing about music for The Record, the college's newspaper, did.
While we had format clocks even back then, for people like myself, who were music geeks/lovers and certainly knew and enjoyed the format ("New Music Radio," which mostly meant new wave and punk back then) were able to shape particular sounds and formats for our shows to reflect our tastes and passions, including local original music. Even if you didn't, the format clock, prepared by Program Director Tom Calderone (a former roommate who is now a vice president at VH-1 Networks and certainly one of the true heroes of WBNY), along with the work from Music Directors Dave Johnston and Cal Zone during my time there, allowed those uninformed of the music or who disliked it to still have decent shows.
I was one of those student government, newspaper, radio station and tons of other activity geeks at Buffalo State College, but my decision to join WBNY and the experiences, friendships and creativity I experienced there are some of the best times and memories of my life. I wouldn't have believed it had I not experienced it firsthand, but those times on the air, when I let my mind, creativity and often visceral feelings for the music allow me to connect with the listeners and the music itself, I felt I actually created something.
I miss being able to play music and create for others in this manner badly, and that is one of the reasons why I, more than 20 years later, return each year for WBNY Alumni Weekend. Some great friendships were started there, and I was actually a roommate to two other station members: Calderone for several months after graduation until he got his first out-of-town job, and for several years with Tina Peel, who can now be heard doing great things on The Lake 107.7 FM.
I welcome all readers to listen in, even if for only a bit before the Sabres' game starts, at 91.3 FM or streaming at this link. Not only will you get a chance to hear me this weekend, but preceding me from 4-6 p.m. Saturday will be the wonderful Cal Zone with Down at Lulu's, and other luminaries you will get to hear are Tina Peel, Karl Shallowhorn, James Braun, Randy Bushover, Tom Connolly, Dave Debo, Crazy Eddie, Dan Page, Beth Connell, Dave Mahoney, John Hopkins, Rick Walters, Steve Myers, Julia Ciesla, Mike Parrish, Joe Bagodonuts and Dave Hawthorne.
Tune in and enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

I didn't know you were a music writer for The Record?! I followed a few years behind and was music editor at The Record back in... hmmmmmmmmmm... I think it may have been 1987 perhaps..? Big stories- Beatles 'White Album' comes out on CD, Prince releases 'Sign O' The Times', and that little U2 record 'Joshua Tree' got a stellar review.

Good times back then. I was and still am a BNY listener!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice plugs Kevin! Glad to have seen and heard you once again in BNY land! Until October,

Cal

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is an older post but is the Dave Hawthorne the same from the early 90's? Do you have any info on him? I was a fraternity brother whose been looking to catch up.
Thanks

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home