Monday, August 07, 2006

Stop Formatting My Early Adulthood

Val and I ate dinner at Rascal's on Niagara Street Friday (the River Grill had a ridiculous wait), and both inside and out, the restaurant had Oldies 104 WHTT-FM playing.
I have finally gotten used to the Eagles, Billy Joel and other artists from my adolescence being considered oldies, but as we waited for our food, the Bangles' "Manic Monday" was played on the station, and a couple of songs later, as we started to eat, "Call Me" by Blondie was played. Oldies? Why, I was only, um, oh, yeah, that's right; it was more than 20 years ago.

5 Comments:

Blogger LC Scotty said...

I've noticed this too, but it turns out that oldies 104 isn't oldies anymore. It's now "Buffalo's greatest hits"

http://whtt.com/whtt/main.html

10:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

I guess I wasn't listening close enough to hear that, so thanks, Scotty, but it doesn't make me feel any better or younger.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather interestingly, I find that 104.1 is much easier to listen to now that a lot of the "moldies" (50's and early 60's) are mothballed.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I get older and reflect on bands I listen to...I can't believe how old the albums are now...

We are just geezers...

But I must add...I still get into new music...I figure when the day comes when I don't listen to anything new...I will be old...

3:26 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Interesting point, Red; while there are a lot of oldies by artists such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, the Beatles, Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Kinks, Johnny Cash, the Who, the Rolling Stones, other Motown and Phil Spector productions that I love, each of these artists have songs that have been absolutely played to death on oldies and other radio formats. I suppose it is time to give them a rest; hell, if we like these artists enough, we should have CDs or other recordings by them.
And I'm certainly with you, Chris; besides professional and writing commitments, I need to listen to new music, bands and/or styles, and it will be time for me to put my pen, um, K, keyboard down.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home