Thursday, January 12, 2006

Great Garbage News (Not the Band)

Today brought a very good development at home that shouldn't have taken this long to occur.
Our wheeled garbage container, which we pay a fee for depending on its size to the City of Buffalo, was taken for its own disposal in June because of a large crack where the arm that picks it up and tips it into the garbage truck hits the container. We were told that it would first take about a month, then 6-8 weeks, and then three months. Repeated calls brought different reasons (the city ran out of containers, Hurricane Katrina delayed the delivery of items from a supplier in the Southeast USA, etc.), and after my last call a few weeks ago, I was told to call back if we didn't get the container this week. Well, I got an e-mail from Val at work announcing the blessed arrival, and I can stop using bags, which of course tear from general wear and animal interest. And no, the city won't take any amount off my bill, because they provide the service and not the specific container, which allows me to use several bags per week. I think local rodents wrote up this part of the contract.
This was the second recent pleasant surprise from civic quarters; in early December, the street lights on our block (Elmwood Village, two blocks off Elmwood Avenue near Richmond, West Utica and Bryant) went out, and I and several neighbors repeatedly called the city and the utility company. During this time, the street lights on adjacent blocks also went partly or totally out, as taking Walker Evans on his daily neighborhood jaunts allowed me to discover, but happily, the lights returned late last week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home