Monday, September 14, 2009

Jim Carroll RIP

It was sad news reading about the death of writer and musician Jim Carroll last night, who died of a heart attack at age 60.
I feel he was one of the truly great writers of my generation and a little before my time, having written one of the best books I have ever read, "The Basketball Diaries," which later became a movie (and a book I read more than once), as well as poetry and other books.
He was also a notable musician, getting his start with urging from Patti Smith, and his debut album, "Catholic Boy," is his best know music recording, featuring the college rock classic "People Who Died." It was one of the first records I reviewed for publication, and I still enjoy it.
Part of his writing focused on his battle with his fierce heroin addiction, so some writers have already commented on he seems to have died in much quieter fashion than expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home