Tuesday, June 09, 2009

You Love the Thunder ... Not Any More

Last night/early this morning's thunder, lightning and rain did its usual artistry and its usual demolition of sleep for me.
As you may know, Walker Evans remains scared of thunder and lightning, racing around the house, panting, barking, growling and drooling until it completely stops. Knowing that the thunder and lightning was coming, and not having any sports to watch last night, I went upstairs early to try to calm him down even before it happened and to salvage Val's sleep, if possible.
It worked in some ways, because Walker started to bark at things just before midnight, and because I was already upstairs, I sat with him at the top of the stairs and calmed him down after a while.
Of course, the thunder and lightning were almost all-night affairs, so I pulled Walker into the media room with me instead of being in the bedroom with Val or roaming the hallway, to calm him and to allow Val to sleep. This was obviously ruining my previous plan of going to bed a lot earlier than normal, so I ended up napping in my chair in the media room from about midnight to 1:45-2 a.m., woken occasionally by barking.
After a 2 a.m. bark or two, I was awake and noticed that the thunder, etc., was becoming less frequent and hoped that it would stop. For more than an hour, it would become calm enough that I would start the process of going to bed, and then the rumble of thunder and some growling and a woof or two emanated from Walker.
Finally, at close to 3:30 a.m., I got to bed and slept through until the alarm went off at 6 a.m. Let's see how perky I am today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home