Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Less Than Five Hours to History

It still seems amazing and I virtually feel like pinching myself, but in less than five hours, the disastrous presidency of George W. Bush ends and President-Elect Barack Obama becomes President Barack Obama.
Besides history being made as the first African American becomes president (anyone who tries to say/explain otherwise should stop reading here and probably just go away), the end of an administration that defied and pissed on the U.S. Constitution as well as many of its leaders and citizens, and still believes in a wrongful war that has killed thousands of Americans and apparently at least 100,000 Iraqi civilians, can't happen soon enough.
For the first time in eight years, to a certain extent, I can again write: Let freedom ring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I had to explain again to David exactly what racism was (explain 6-year-old style, anyway) and why the election of an African American was such a big deal. He just didn't get it. Wouldn't that be like not voting for someone or letting him sit on the bus because he has a big nose? Isn't that stupid? Well, yeah, I said. That's the whole point. But I love his attitude about it. Just totally unable to fathom racism.

Someone said to me the other day, "Well. It'll be interesting to see what he actually DOES now that he's in office." We agreed on that point, but I suspect for totally different reasons.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home