Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Musical Letdown, Radio Style

Driving home from work Friday, I again heard a great song, ""Ol' '55," written and originally recorded by Tom Waits, performed as a cover by The Eagles on 107.7 FM The Lake.
When the Lake came on the air a few years ago, it claimed to be and actually was different, playing deeper cuts off albums we've heard plus songs by bands that are influential and just plain damn good that listeners to most commercial rock radio didn't hear much, if any of, on the airwaves due to most stations tightening their playlists to miniscule numbers.
Sadly, The Lake has now likewise shrunk its playlist and gotten rid of most of its air staff, which was knowledgable and at one time allowed to talk about the music, which I as a listener enjoyed and appreciated.
I can't remember the last time I heard Tom Waits sing one of his songs (or anybody else's) on The Lake, and hell knows when I will again. But hey, the station can play hundreds of songs by the Eagles and other overplayed 1970s, 1980s and 1990s bands, if you're interested. I am less and less interested each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home