Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Power of Vinyl

As a child of the 1970s (or at least an adolescent, being born in 1960), being a music geek meant you had many, many vinyl albums, EPs and 45s (I was even a member of the SubPop Singles Club) before cassettes, CDs and eventually digital music changed things. I still have thousands of pieces of vinyl here at our house and at my mother's house. It didn't help that I worked at Cavage's at the Seneca Mall for a while.
Although I ended up replacing a lot of that vinyl music, there are more than enough albums that I never was able to replace and missed hearing as I slowly moved to cassettes and CDs. Not having the physical space to store all of my vinyl for years didn't help in listening to a lot of it, either. But leave it to having a serious and seriously talented DJ, writer, artist and friend such as Mark Wisz for convincing me of the value still existing in my vinyl collection; in the last few months, more and more of it has made its way to the Hosey-Dunne Estates and to my turntable.
I've bragged about some of the music I've been listening to recently, but tonight has been an absolute blast because I have listened to two albums and am currently listening to a third album that I absolutely loved and haven't heard in their entirety in years. I started off with "Album" by Flipper, featuring 7 minutes and 45 seconds of "Sex Bomb," then listened to the Tom Robinson Band's "Power in the Darkness," and playing as I write this is "The Right to Be Italian" by Holly and the Italians.
I'd like to write more, but the music is calling me.

2 Comments:

Blogger mark said...

Kevin- you are too kind... long live the record!!!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

I was able to feed the vinyl habit last night, Mark. My sister Heather and her kids were staying with my Mom for a couple of days from Wayne County, so Val and I went over so they could do her birthday dinner, cake and gifts thing.

I took the opportunity to bring home a few albums, by Martha and the Muffins, the Long Ryders and Roy Loney (ex-Flamin' Groovies) and the Phantom Movers.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home