Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sounding Good, Looking Awful

A couple of Saturdays ago, Val and I had come home from either an art opening or a concert and were in that period where we weren't ready to go to bed but didn't want to start watching a movie or something we had recorded to DVR.
While she proceeded to use her laptop, I switched on the television and started to channel surf, which, if she isn't online, really annoys the lovely Val. If I find nothing interesting (and because of Val's place of work, we get just about everything), I turn to the "Retro-Active" channel on Music Choice.
Well, VH-1 saved me here, as it was doing a live weekend; I turned there in the middle of a live Cure concert from either late 2007 or early 2008. The music sounded really good, and Robert Smith's voice was excellent, still showing a good range, hitting all of the high notes without cracking and just really impressing me. On the other hand, when the camera came in for closeups, Smith, wearing his trademark black clothing, white facial makeup with black eyeliner and lipstick, looked way too close to Heath Ledger's Joker in "The Dark Knight."
I mean, wow, it was bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home