Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No More Ovaltine, Please

Does anyone else feel like picking up a hatchet, tire iron or baseball bat and attacking something when they hear the annoying, obnoxious Ovaltine commercial, mainly on the radio, like I do?
It is bad enough, and just a step away from being hilarious, how awful, contrived and dated the script and acting sounds, but why did some creative person somewhere think that kids talking/shouting in unison is entertaining or will sell a product? There is a local beverage service that also utilizes the children in unison tactic as the tikes praise their hot chocolate, and it sounds almost as dumb.
It doesn't help that, when I was a kid and early teenager, that Ovaltine was not only not a drink we sought for enjoyment, but we ran away from when offered. It tasted bad then, incredibly worse than Nestle's Quik and Hershey's Chocolate Milk, as well as the rare bottled chocolate milk back then, that it has always been considered a joke line to me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'm always reminded of that scene from "A Christmas Story" where he finally gets his decoder, writes down the secret code, locks himself in the bathroom and the message is "Drink Your Ovaltine"

10:39 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Ovaltine was all that was offered at my home while growing up (had to first mix it with very hot water to dissolve it so the chunks didn't float all over in the milk). Then we graduated to PDQ. It wasn't until I moved out on my own that I discovered Nestle's Quik and Hershey's syrup. I never looked back.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Ha; I remember and still laugh/cry at that ending, Beth.

Oh, ugh; I remember how hard it was to break up those chunks of Ovaltine, Becky. That was just another reason to dislike it. But you grew up without Nestle's Quik or Hershey's Syrup? In this country?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Mom was, and still is, "thrifty". The good stuff must have cost more.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sheesh, Kevin, someone else with a "thrifty" mom, imagine that? You ought to have a contest on parents' thriftiness. Mom's washing out of cold cuts bags to reuse is my entry.

11:32 AM  
Blogger heather said...

Oops, I didn't realize Mike was signed in, the above comment is really from me!

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home