Sunday, December 02, 2007

Kevin's Coffee Chronicles, Part I

I have written a little bit on my love of coffee here (strong, flavorful coffee); I don't consider myself a real expert, but an avid drinker.
On the other hand, it is not like me to not comment away on certain topics, so this will start what I am annoyingly/clichedly calling Kevin's Coffee Chronicles. Today's topic will be takeout/donut or doughnot shop coffee, or at least the major fight here concerning it.
This style is definitely not my favorite, but it seems to be the most popular style of coffee for people I encounter, and the big debate seems to be Tim Horton's versus Dunkin Donuts. Many people have been telling me and writing in various places about how good Dunkin Donuts coffee is, especially since the company has made a reappearance in Buffalo/Western New York. McDonald's has made a recent foray into this area, but I cannot force myself to go there unless I need (as in am getting over the flu and need something in my stomach) a chocolate shake, and the thought of what McDonald's could do to coffee frankly frightens me.
I always liked Tim Horton's coffee more than Dunkin Donuts; Tim Horton's was OK (the mocha better than the regular coffee), but really, I can barely stomach Dunkin Donuts' coffee. Its taste bears only the slightest resemblance to coffee as I am aware of it, tasting like the worst in commercial machine coffee to me. It's bitterness also exceeds Tim Horton's.
I stopped at the Dunkin Donuts on Genesee Street near Transit Road in Cheektowaga on the way home from my mother's house Saturday (no Tim Horton's or anything else directly on the route, and I couldn't hold out until I got to Spot Coffee, my favorite place). Their coffee, which I hadn't tried in a few years, tasted the same, bad. On the other hand, the Dunkin Munchkins, which I also had, are MUCH better than Tim Bits, particularly the peanut, but I'd say every kind, as well as the doughnuts (although Tim Horton's iced angels are wonderful).
Don't anyone mention coffee at Wilson Farms or places like that, either; having worked at Wilson Farms many years ago, I know just how bad the coffee was and am led to believe still is. I have neither the stomach nor the sense of adventure to try that coffee again.
Anyone having suggestions on where good coffee can be bought in these types of setup or just some good places to buy beans, please let me know.

4 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

I think you might be surprised at the quality of McD's coffee. I seriously was!!!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

I suppose if a McDonald's was closer to me than on Main Street between Utica and Hodge, and that was on my route to work, I might give it a try. Is it a strong roast, Jennifer?

6:58 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I would stay far away from the coffee at the Children's Hospital cafeteria. Let's just say... it is coffee in name only. The little cart they have in the lobby is a little bit better.

Although Children's does have the scary machine known as the "coffee machine". Sadly it doesn't also dispense chicken soup... so no weird chicken soup film on the coffee...

Dash's does carry some "gourmet" coffees.

Can also make your own beans: http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/

12:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe anonymous should get his own blog.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home