Monday, June 18, 2007

Electromemories

As Val and I drove to meet my mother for a memorial Mass for my late father Edward and take her out for her birthday dinner Saturday, we only listened to one CD in the car the whole time, Mark Freeland's Electrospective, featuring music from Electroman and Freeland solo.
On the way home, we stopped for gasoline, and as we pulled out of the station, song 10, "Girl Power," both of our favorite Electroman song, played; as you might imagine, we absolutely cranked the song. When it finished, I decided to play it again, and Val laughed that she had been doing this for the past few days whenever that song came on the CD. We discovered that from the NOCO station at Genesee and Holtz in Cheektowaga to home in the Elmwood Village of Buffalo, taking the Kensington Expressway to the Scajaquada Expressway and getting off at the Delaware Avneue exit, it takes four playings of "Girl Power," the only song we listened to from that point until we got home.
I am happy and fortunate at how much of Freeland's music, in Electroman, the Fems and elsewhere I got to play while a DJ at WBNY 91.3 FM at Buffalo State College from 1984-1985. As well as sitting in to do The Local Show when then-host John Hudson went home to New York City during breaks, I played all local music from 8-9 a.m. (minus the 8:30 a.m. newscast) during my 6-10 a.m. Wednesday air shift.
The management at WBNY allowed certain DJs who knew the music well to bring in music from there own collections without having to get it authorized first, so I brought in my Pegasonics' "New New York" album among other recordings to supplement the Electroman, Fems, Freeland solo and other music. I am also breaking out as much vinyl and cassettes as I can to go along with Val's Electrospective CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home