Monday, May 21, 2007

So, How Was Your Weekend?

As you might imagine, Val and I join many Buffalonians/Western New Yorkers in being rather unhappy and disappointed over the Buffalo Sabres losing their NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Championship Series to the Ottawa Senators, 4 games to 1, concluding with Saturday's 3-2 overtime loss at the HSBC Arena.
But I will have a bit more on that later; somehow, we got through the crushing loss, and Val and I decided that since we don't drink any more and can't drown our Sabres' sorrows, we would try to eat them away and went out for wings that night at Gabriel's Gate on Allen Street. Val ate a single order of medium wings (brought a few home), while I polished off a double order of barbecued wins (gave Val one at dinner and gave her another to bring home). Damn, were they good.
Sunday was supposed to be a very fun day; after we got the grocery shopping and usual errands done, we were heading over to the Eden residence of rock and roll chef Marty Boratin and Righteous Babe Records' Susan Tanner for their first house concert, featuring former Western New Yorker Gurf Morlix (producer, guitarist and singer best known for his solo work and with Lucinda Williams during her best years) and Troy Campbell.
After Val made her fruit salad and I had walked Walker Evans, she went into the shower and I eventually, um, processed my wings. As I was finishing my session, just after Val got out of the shower and went into the bedroom, I heard some noise and then Val kind of swearing, then going into the bathroom and saying, "Oh, shit, this is looking bad." When I called up, she said that I had better come upstairs because she needed some help.
It turns out that Val had some MS-related balance trouble and as she grabbed a wall and television in the bedroom, her right heel kicked out a very big glass wine bottle in which she kept change, putting a large hole in it. She was bleeding from four or five cuts, two which looked pretty bad and would not stop bleeding until we elevated her foot. After a bit of convincing, I took Val to the emergency room at Buffalo General Hospital, the nearest hospital and where the Jacobs Neurological Institute, Val's MS clinic with her MS doctors, is located.
After about 4 1/2 hours, Val was wheeled out by a nurse, and ended up getting 6 stitches in her heel, two for one cut along the tendon (not deep enough to do any damage to it) and four stitches to a cut on the bottom corner of her heel. As you might imagine, we missed the Gurf Morlix concert, but Val is mobile and doing OK. I realize that this is not the worst health situation the Buffalo blogging community is undergoing, but it had me worried.
Of course, there was some waiting room entertainment; one gentleman, a thick, stocky African American male wore a long, blond wig past his shoulders, a dress and had a doll in his arms which sang a song whenever he activated it, which was way too often. Another man tried to hit up most people in the waiting room for money, but smelled so bad that everyone scattered from him. I just read about 100 pages from the book I brought with me.

3 Comments:

Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

Ugh.

Glad to hear that everything is ok.

Miss you!

8:53 AM  
Blogger val said...

Thanks, Jen. It's just more irritating than anything else.
Miss you too...

11:37 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

A bit delayed... but glad to hear you are doing OK.

Although, hospital ER's are always have a very interesting selection of people. DH & I were laughing when we had to take the boy to the ER Easter Sunday 2006... the sheriff's department was there with the "Easter Bunny" to cheer sick children... we were wondering if they were also looking for wanted felons...

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home