Friday, May 11, 2007

"Goth" reading at Hallwalls

I am really looking forward to this. The essay, in the " Goth-Undead Subculture" anthology, written by Mark Nowak, is titled "Zero City". The reading will be at Hallwalls, Thursday May 17 at 7:30. As a lot of Buffalo-Continental music fans know, Zero City is the English translation of Nullstadt. David Kane and Donald Kinsman of the original version of the band Nullstadt, will be performing at Thursday's Hallwalls event.
I am proud to admit that I was obsessed by this band in the 80s. After my teenage years in the 97 Rock suburbs of Buffalo, I was blown away by the fact that a band this different and amazing was in my city. I saw them at countless weekends at the Continental (and I have the pictures to prove it).
So after finding out about the Hallwalls event, I did a little searching on the internet, and, lo and behold, BOTH of the band's videos have been posted on YouTube- big thanks to NickelCityDave for posting them. Hell, I only have vinyl and cassettes of the music, so seeing these videos was fantastic. I'm posting both here for your enjoyment.
I think the blurb on the Hallwalls site says it all-

This event is a must-see for forty-something fans of Nullstadt, aging denizens of the pre-Chippewa Strip Continental, Goths not even born yet when Nullstadt was a local favorite at The Continental (let alone old enough to go there!), punks, post-punks, neo-punks, and anyone of any age interested in rock criticism, contemporary cultural anthropology, Marxism, organized labor, or the post-industrial history of Buffalo.



Nullstadt- "A Similar Crisis"




Nullstadt- "Mayday"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home