Monday, March 06, 2006

Major Radio Annoyance(s)

Over the years, in print and on the Internet, my music writing/criticism gained a reputation for cutting little slack and being as honest and direct and often derogatory as possible, but I have tried not to insult individual listeners. But a current television advertisement for WJYE 96.1 FM, Buffalo's Soft Rock, has me pissed off to high hell, so I will issue a double warning: this post features some profane language and will not be nice to at least one listener.
The ad features several listeners of the station in what appear to be reality vignettes, stating what they like about the station and its music; one woman states that the music referred to as soft rock "energizes me." Energizes me? Pardon me, but what kind of fucking loser are you?
Whether I like the music or not, whether she or anyone else likes the music that WJYE plays or not, who in the hell is "energized" by the Little River Band, Kenny Rogers, Richard Marx, Faith Hill or Billy Ocean? I can understand people liking this music, being soothed by it or even being inspired by it, but energized? What kind of narcolepsy is this person or others going through to be energized by this music?
And another annoyance, one that has perturbed me for years, is the term "soft rock." Sorry, but rock music was not created and does not exist to be "soft." Yes, most rock bands play an occasional soft song (too often to scary results), but if a band or performer play this kind of music exclusively or mostly, then they are not a soft rock band, they are a pop band, which is no insult.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

laughing while writing this... I had to check out their website to see if I could get a playlist and try to name a not-so-bogus tune I've heard on there( I know there are one or two) but instead found a list of songs I could download for 0.99 including but not limited to:The Hampster Dance,some SpongeBob tunes and more. Thanks for the afternoon BURST of WEIRDNESS!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Ha; my pleasure, KT, and when youf ind a song or two that won't, as someone wise whose name I forgot said, make my colon clench, send it/them along. I know there must be a few, but they can't match "The Hampster Dance" or SpongeBob, who my nephew Tommy loves.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kevin J. Hosey said...

Of course, that should read "when you find."

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home