Saturday, March 18, 2006

Latest Sign of Musical Devolution

While I can't think of a pizza commercial I like, the latest one to make my colon clench (yes, I love that expression) is that of Papa John's in which the Go-Go's "We Got the Beat" is changed/prostituted into "We Got the Meat." The Go-Go's debut album, Beauty and the Beat, is one of my favorite albums of any genre from the 1980s, so to hear such a ridiculous, vacuous take off on one of the two best-known songs from it just puts another nail in the coffin of my youth/early adulthood's musical idealism, or is it naivety?

1 Comments:

Blogger val said...

Wow; about a minute before I started writing this, a Swifter commercial with Blondie's "One Way or Another" played on A&E.
It's funny, Cal; I agree with you in a sense that the old New Wave songs are considered viable, although I suppose it is a painful truth to call them "commodities." At least Devo never held any pretensions about this situation, and while I don't wish to prevent any artist or author from using his or her art, craft or work, I have grown tired of hearing Go-Go's songs in advertisements. This is the third one I can recall, joining "Vacation" and "Our Lips Are Sealed,"
And don't even get me started about the Clash's "London Calling" being used in a Jaguar commercial.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home