Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Death Or Glory at the Polling Place

One great story from yesterday's Primary Day voting: Val and I voted between 7-7:15 p.m., after hours and hours of campaigning and before we went out to Sam Hoyt's campaign result shindig.
As I got up after filling out my voting form to submit it into the scanning machine at our polling place, a couple in their early to mid-30s got into line, with the man carrying a two-month-old child in a carrier. After smiling at the child behaving quite well, I noticed that the man was wearing a t-shirt with the image of the Clash's self-titled debut album.
I commended him on his shirt, and as all of us live on Norwood Avenue, we started talking about the Clash. I mentioned how the first import album I ever bought, in the late 1970s, was the same Clash self-titled debut record, and that it and "London Calling" were on my all-time Top 10 album list.
The man smiled and said that he hadn't gotten into the Clash that early, of course, due to his age, but started in high school and was a major fan. As he went to submit his voting form, his wife noted that their 4-year-old son, who was at home with someone, counted "Wrong 'Em Boyo" as his favorite song, requested it frequently and went around the house singing it.
There is hope for our next generation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home