Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years, Stephen; Five Damn Years

I commend the activity organized by bloggers to remember the 2,996 confirmed victims of 9/11, and thank Kim Thompson of KT in Buffalo for bringing it to my attention. It was too late for me to take part, but I am not sure that I could have.
Five years later, and I still have some difficulty writing as good as I would like about my good friend from Buffalo State College, Stephen G. Hoffman, who was killed on 9/11; he worked for Cantor Fitzgerald at the World Trade Center. Stephen was truly one of those persons whose smile and laugh could light up a room and lift everyone's spirits, and he had a real joy for life, which included activities from intramural sports and United Students Government to being a residents' assistant, the first two of which I shared a lot of time with him and his twin brother, Gregory, another great person.
As bad as I felt watching the events occur on 9/11 and covering them here in Buffalo/Western New York, I felt an incredible emptiness in my stomach and pain in my heart when I received a call a few days later from Stu Herlan, another friend from Buffalo State, telling me of Steve.
My heart continues to go out to Stephen's family, including Greg; his wife, Gabrielle, who he met at Buffalo State, and his daughter, Madeline, as well as to all friends and family members of the victims of 9/11.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home