Wednesday, October 24, 2007

WBNY Reunion, New Media This Weekend


I will be seeing many old friends from my days at Buffalo State College when WBNY 91.3 FM celebrates its 25th anniversary as part of the New Media Weekend from Thursday through Sunday, October 25-28.
As I have written before, I am a proud alumnus of WBNY, having been a DJ, news anchor, talk show host and producer there from 1984-1985 under program directors Tom Calderone and Matt Moretti. I accomplished things I may never get the chance to do again, made some great friends, learned more about music than I knew beforehand (yes, even this music geek) and even got a small amount of recognition, or a least notoriety (I hosted "The Loudest Morning Show in Buffalo" from 6-10 a.m. Wednesdays).
I will be on the air from 6-8 p.m. Sunday, October 28 (circumstances precluded me from making an early and/or better shift confirmation, and yes, I know I will miss the end of the Bills-Jets game), and I will be taking part as a panelist during "New Media: What's Next?" from 3:15-4:30 p.m. Saturday, October 27, in my work role (I was a little disappointed that it wasn't for my work as a blogger and writer/editor for our BuffaloRoots web site or blog, but flattered I was asked for my government media job). The other panelists are: Elena Cala Buscarino, Buffalo Rising; Randy Bushover, producer and reporter, WBEN-AM (and longtime friend and WBNY colleague); Alice Fisher, owner, Unlimited PR, and Mark Poloncarz, Erie County Comptroller. The moderators will be Buffalo State College assistant communication professors Joe Marren (a former newspaper colleague of mine) and Lou Rera.
Information on the weekend is available at several places online and elsewhere, including: WBNY Alumni; very recent, extensive stories and a blog entry in the Buffalo News (which apparently does not find my 18 years of newspaper work, 22 years of music freelance writing and so on worthy of inclusion with other media alumni), at the Buffalo State web site and a good, extensive story by James Fink (who I worked with at my first newspaper job) in Buffalo Business First, which appreciatively does list me among the alumni.
Much of the thanks and hard work in arranging and presenting the New Media Weekend and WBNY 25th reunion goes to and was done by two friends from the WBNY days who are also former roommates of mine and program directors, Tom Calderone and Carole Fulkerson/Lambert (better know as Tina Peel). Calderone used his contacts as a upper executive at MTV/VH-1 to help in lots of ways, more than I could list, and Tina/Caroline, of WLKK-FM 107.7 The Lake, was virtually the local face of the event, and has been tireless in her work here as well as being one of the advisers of WBNY.
I could go on and, but you get the point; please listen in if you get chance, if only to hear John Hudson put up with Cal Zone's screaming and nattering from 4-6 p.m. Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home